It is no secret that I looooove Mexican food! And I have been craving ALL the Tex Mex and Mexican flavors while I have been pregnant too.
In fact, looking back over what I made for my family dinner last week, I noticed that I included THREE meals in this flavor category: chili, chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker and tacos! I cannot get enough right now.
We had this side dish with tacos last week, so I thought I would snap a few photos and share the recipe with y’all! It’s just SO easy and like…a thousand times better than plain rice.
I confess that I used to buy those packets of rice with the spices already in them. But I have had so much more fun flavoring up plain rice myself. Plus, you can skip all the sketchy ingredients that are in those packets, and you can use FRESH things like cilantro, fresh lime juice, real butter and corn kernels. YUM.
And you can totally make this with white rice (or any variety of rice you wish!) if you want to. Just be sure and adjust your cook time and water to match the directions on your package of rice.
I am using brown basmati, which I got a ginormous bag of at Costco. I have also made this successfully with white Jasmine rice. Brown rice just gives you slightly more fiber and nutrition.
UPDATE: I recently updated this recipe to include Instant Pot instructions. I have made this several times, and this is by far the quickest and easiest way to make it.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- This 1.5 quart sauce pan with lid was big enough. If you double it, you will need a bigger pot.
- You can make this in an Instant Pot, if you wish
- Citrus juicer to juice the lime
- Wooden spoon
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice Recipe
Pin and share this recipe if it looks good to you!
- 1 cup brown basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water (Note: for Instant Pot, use proportions outlined in the recipe book for the type of rice you are using)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (plus more, to taste)
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Add the rice, water and ¼ teaspoon salt to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pot, and add the corn kernels right on top, and recover immediately (no stirring necessary).
- Cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the butter, cilantro and lime juice, and stir to combine.
- Taste, and add more salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Prepare 1 cup (dry) any type of rice plus salt, using the proportions, times, water prescribed in the Instant Pot recipe book. (Note: I usually skip the corn when making it in my Instant Pot.)
- When rice is cooked, stir in the lime juice, butter and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.