This Instant Pot black bean soup is a delicious plant-based meal that even the meat-eaters will love!
Note: Shopping through the Amazon affiliate links in this post support this site at no extra cost to you.
I make my Instant Pot black bean soup with un-soaked, dry black beans.
This is where the Instant Pot excels, in my humble opinion. Gone are the days where I need to remember to soak my beans overnight. I just give them a rinse, and I’m good to go. It is kind of life-changing!
But back to this particular Instant Pot black bean soup recipe.
It is a dump-it-all-in-and-press-the button easy. And it is so good that even my son and husband went back for seconds! It is rare that I find a meatless meal that makes them happy, but this black bean soup hit the spot.
The black bean soup will thicken as it sits. It will thicken even more in the refrigerator if you have leftovers. If you want, you can add a little water or vegetable stock to leftovers to thin is out a little.
Also, if you know me, I am all about the toppings on soup! I kept mine plant-based for the photos, with some simple cilantro and diced avocado. Tortilla chips are also good with this. Even a scoop of cooked rice would be good! Lots of possibilities to choose from. 🙂 And omnivores, feel free to add cheese or sour cream!
Recipes to Serve with Black Bean Soup
- Southern skillet corn bread (vegetarian)
- Tortilla chips and homemade guacamole
- Tortilla chips and homemade salsa
- Cilantro lime rice (substitute vegan butter, if desired)
More Vegan Recipes You May Enjoy
- Instant Pot pinto beans
- Instant Pot black beans
- Instant Pot jasmine rice
- Corn salad with avocado, tomato and lime
- Quinoa black bean salad
- Classic hummus
- Instant Pot classic hummus
- Air fryer French fries
- DIY microwave popcorn (no waste)
- Instant Pot sweet potatoes
- Italian pasta salad
- Instant Pot wild rice pilaf
- Greek potato salad (Zoe’s copycat)
- Roasted thyme carrots
- Rainbow roasted vegetables
- Vegan burrito bowls
- Lemon garlic roasted Brussels sprouts
Tools Used to Make Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you.
- Instant Pot – I have both the Duo60 and the Lux60.
- Good quality chef’s knife and cutting board
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup Recipe
If you like this recipe, please pin it and share it. Give it a star rating if you try it.👍🏻
And don’t forget to stay connected on social media!
Instant Pot black bean soup (vegan)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 ounce)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 pound dry black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less, to taste, depending on the saltiness of your broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable stock or broth (omnivores may substitute chicken broth, if you wish)
Add all ingredients (except toppings) to the Instant Pot, and place the lid on top, with the vent set to "sealing."
Cook the soup on manual high pressure for 40 minutes, and let the pressure naturally release (Note: this soup took a while to come to pressure and to naturally release: plan on the whole cooking time being over an hour, FYI).
After the pot is depressurized, remove the lid, and carefully remove the bay leaves. (I used tongs). Note: soup will thicken as it sits.
Serve with desired toppings: squeeze of lime, cilantro, diced avocado, green onions, tortilla chips, etc.
Note: this soup took a while to come to pressure and to naturally release: plan on the whole cooking time being well over an hour (about an hour and 20 minutes).