This slow cooker black bean soup is a delicious and easy dinner that will earn it’s place into your regular dinner rotation.
This recipe is like the southwestern cousin to my slow cooker red beans and rice. 🙂 Just like the method I use in that recipe, you do NOT have to pre-soak your beans. Pre-soaking is such a pain, not because it is difficult. It’s not! But, I always forget to do it the night before.
I just love how I can dump everything in the slow cooker, and dinner practically prepares itself.
The main effort required for this dish is chopping up the vegetables – onions, bell peppers, jalapeno, garlic and celery. And you can totally take shortcuts there by buying pre-cut vegetables, if you want to. I know my local grocery store has pre-cut onions, celery and bell peppers, which you can totally use if you want to make this virtually effortless.
I didn’t mind chopping my own! I put Mallory in her bouncy seat, and she was happy and content. I sharpened my knife, put on one of my favorite podcasts, and chopped away.
This recipe also happens to be vegan. But you don’t have to be vegan to enjoy it. My family eats it, and it is a super satisfying meatless meal. No complaints from my meat-loving husband. He went back for seconds!
If you have seen any of my soup recipes, you know that I am ALL about the toppings on soup. This soup goes great with any combination of the following: diced avocado, cilantro, green onions, lime, diced tomatoes, sour cream, cheese (those last two obviously aren’t vegan).
It also pairs well with either tortilla chips or a pan of skillet corn bread. YUM!
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup Recipe
If you like this recipe, please pin it and share it.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (14.5 ounce)
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper deseeded and diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 pound dry black beans rinsed
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce I used Texas Pete
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 leaves bay
- 6.5 cups vegetable stock I used 6.5 cups water + 2 Tablespoons Better Than Bullion vegetable base. Omnivores: feel free to substitute chicken stock.
- Optional toppings suggestions: lime juice cilantro, green onions, diced avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream - the possibilities are endless!
- Place all ingredients (except for optional toppings) in the slow cooker, and cook on low for 10 hours.
- One hour prior to serving: remove the bay leaves, and use a potato masher to go in and mash a few of the beans to thicken the texture.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Refrigerate leftovers, and keep for up to a week.
Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.
I am not vegan, but some of my recipes happen to be vegan.