This slow cooker black bean soup is a delicious and easy dinner that will earn it’s place into your regular dinner rotation.
This recipe is like the southwestern cousin to my slow cooker red beans and rice. 😉
Just like the method I use in that recipe, you do NOT have to pre-soak your beans. Pre-soaking is such a pain, not because it is difficult. It’s not! But, I always forget to do it the night before.
This recipe also happens to be whole foods plant-based/ vegan.
But you don’t have to be vegan to enjoy it. My family eats it, and it is a super satisfying meatless meal. No complaints from the omnivores.
And feel free to take liberties on the toppings. Omnivores may love cheese, sour cream, etc.
Plant based toppings could include cashew cream, diced avocado, green onion, vegan sour cream, guacamole, etc. Also, you can serve this with a scoop of cooked rice to make it even more filling.
For tastiest results, always use the best quality ingredients you have access to.
Making slow cooker black bean soup
There is not much to say here.😅 The bulk of the work for this recipe is prep – chopping the veggies. 🤷🏼♀️
I just love how I can dump everything in the slow cooker, and dinner practically prepares itself.
This recipe has also been tested in the Instant Pot on the slow cooker setting. I would recommend cooking this on high only. The “low” setting on the Instant Pot tends to not get hot enough, FYI.
And of course I have an Instant Pot black bean version of this soup over here as well.
It also pairs well with either tortilla chips or a pan of skillet corn bread. YUM!
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup Recipe
Did you try this recipe? Give it a star rating. Pin it and share it if it looks good to you. And be sure and stay connected on social media!
Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (14.5 ounce)
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper deseeded and diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 pound dry black beans rinsed
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce I used Texas Pete
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 leaves bay
- 6.5 cups vegetable stock I used 6.5 cups water + 2 Tablespoons Better Than Bullion vegetable base. Omnivores: feel free to substitute chicken stock.
- Optional toppings suggestions: lime juice cilantro, green onions, diced avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream - the possibilities are endless!
Place all ingredients (except for optional toppings) in the slow cooker, and cook on low for 10 hours. (Note: You can also cook this on high for 6 hours.)
- One hour prior to serving: remove the bay leaves, and use a potato masher to go in and mash a few of the beans to thicken the texture.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Refrigerate leftovers, and keep for up to a week.
Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.
You may also enjoy: More of my recipes that happen to be vegan.