Instant Pot chicken and rice is a delicious and simple supper that you can make all in one pot.
Don’t worry, internet friends! If you do not have an Instant Pot, I already have stove top instructions for this recipe here: one pot chicken and rice.
But if you don’t have an Instant Pot yet…why not? You should really look into getting one, especially around Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. I am loving mine. #NotSponsored
Note: This post contains Amazon affilaite links, which support this site at no extra cost to you.
Okay, back to this Instant Pot chicken and rice.
It is every bit as good as the original recipe. I did have to strategize a little to get the cooking times for all the ingredients to line up.
I left the chicken thighs whole in this recipe, and I browned them on the sauté setting first. This locks in the juices and helps the chicken pre-cook a little.
After I sauté them, I put them aside on a plate and add the other ingredients (see full recipe instructions for details). The chicken thighs are placed on top.
And the cooked perfectly! I was able to shred them with two forks.
And then I stir everything together.
Heads up, I did notice that the rice on the bottom was really dark brown.
At first I thought it was scorched, and then I tasted it and realized it was the yummy brown bits that we deglazed after sautéing the chicken. I just stirred it in to everything else.
I love that this worked so well in the pressure cooker! Y’all let me know if you try it.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links, which support this site at no extra cost to you.
- Instant Pot – my favorite electric pressure cooker
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Wooden spatula and/or wooden spoon
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
If this recipe looks good to you, please pin it and share it.
Also you can see ALL my Instant Pot recipes here.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tablespoons oil (I used avocado oil)
- 3 small shallots diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves medium fresh garlic minced
- 1.5 cups uncooked white jasmine rice rinsed and drained (Do NOT skip the rinsing. Rice will likely scorch if not rinsed!)
- 1.5 cups chicken stock or broth plus another 1/3 cup for deglazing the pan
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves chopped and divided (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using the sauté setting, preheat on normal for 1.5 minutes
- Generously salt and pepper your chicken thighs.
- Use tongs to put chicken in the pan (watch out for oil splatter!)
- Sear chicken thighs, 5 min on side one, season the opposite side and 3 min on side 2 (pan will be hotter)
- Chicken will render a little fat, but you can add a little more oil if you want to
- Remove and set aside chicken on a plate
Add 1/3 cup broth to deglaze the pan, scrape the bits with a wooden spoon (do not skip this step!). If there are any stuck on spots, be sure and lift those away from the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add shallot, mushroom and carrots, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, and continue to cook for another minute.
Add remaining 1 and ½ cups of chicken stock, rice, thyme and stir together.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the mixture.
- Place the lid on, and lock it, setting the valve to sealing.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes, and allow the Instant Pot to release naturally (do not use the quick release lever, but let the pressure indicator lower on its own. (mine took 18 minutes, FYI)
- Switch the valve release, and remove the lid carefully.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken, and stir the pot.
- Serve immediately.
Do NOT skip rinsing the rice first! This will remove some of the starch, and will prevent scorching/ sticking to the bottom.
Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.
See ALL of my Instant Pot recipes here.