It’s been way too long since I pulled out my spiralizer. And the warm weather here in Alabama has me longing for all of the tastes of my vegetable garden. There is nothing quite like fresh tomatoes, zucchini and basil…straight from your own back yard!
Well, my garden may be on hiatus this year, since we have a newborn in the house. She and her three year old brother are keeping me pretty busy these days. There just isn’t enough time to do everything that I want to do. Maybe I’ll keep up the herbs and spring for a few tomato plants? I’ll do what I can.
But! Luckily, neither you nor I have to have a garden to get all the flavor of this dish. Just an awesome produce department at my grocery store will do for now. 🙂
The flavor profile for this dish is inspired by traditional basil pesto sauce. Except, rather than make and actual pesto, I deconstructed it!
All of the traditional elements of pesto are in this dish – olive oil, garlic, basil, parmesan and pine nuts. Combine that with tomatoes and these spiralized zucchini and summer squash as my base.
And BAM. Jackpot!
Now, I would never try to convince you that these zucchini noodles taste like actual pasta. They don’t! But they are delicious, especially with the right flavors to compliment them. And the spiral cut does make them more fun to eat for some reason!
I would encourage you to look for the straightest squash and/or zucchinis you can find. This will make spiralizing a lot easier. And if you just want to use one or the other, that will work too. I had both, so I used both.
I prefer to just barely cook my zoodles. I like them to retain a lot of their bite, so I only cook mine for about two minutes total. Any more than that, and they taste a little soggy for me. If you prefer yours more tender, you can experiment with cooking a little bit longer.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- Spiral vegetable slicer – I am using the Paderno spiralizer (<- I wrote a full product review here, FYI)
- Pot or skillet with a lid – I am using this Cuisinart saute pan with lid
- Tongs for tossing everything together
- Bowl for catching the spiral cut veggies
- Knife and cutting board
Garlic Parmesan Zoodles Recipe
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Pin it if it looks good to you.
- 2 summer squash
- 2 zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste (I used ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper)
- 7 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon pine nuts
- Use a spiralizer to slice the zucchini and squash. (I used the large spiral blade.)
- Mince the garlic, and halve the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil over medium low heat for about a minute.
- Add the garlic, and reduce heat to low, cooking for one minute (until fragrant).
- Add the spiralized veggies, and toss to coat with the garlic and oil.
- Put the lid on, and cook for one minute.
- Remove the lid, and toss one more time.
- Replace lid, and cook one more minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add salt, pepper, tomatoes and basil, and toss to combine.
- Transfer to serving dish, and top with pine nuts and parmesan cheese.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator. Each serving is approximately 2 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers.