This one pot creamy chicken noodle skillet is a comforting and easy dinner that your whole family will love! It has only seven ingredients (plus salt and pepper), contains all natural ingredients, and it is made in only one pot.
Back to school season is here! And I know you need some quick and easy dinners to put into your rotation. I’ve got a great one for you today – this one pot creamy chicken noodle skillet. YUM!
It is actually pretty healthy too since I did not use any heavy cream! Don’t worry though – it tastes great. 🙂 I just used plain old 2% milk, and it is enough to give it that creamy texture to the sauce.
The real beauty of this recipe is that it is made in ONE pot. You don’t need to buy the boxed “helper” stuff (with all the sketchy ingredients) to get the convenience of a one skillet chicken dinner. You can make this one skillet meal with all natural ingredients!
The trick to these recipes is getting the liquid to pasta ratio just right. I had to make it a few times before I got it to be just perfect!
Just a heads up: when you first add the pasta into the liquid, it will not look like it is going to be enough liquid at first. That’s okay! Just give it a good stir, put the lid on, and then stir it again in a couple of minutes after the pasta has had a chance to start tenderizing. The liquid will eventually cover the pasta, and it will reduce down to create the yummy sauce. Here is a video I made to demonstrate:
The flavors of this dish actually remind me of chicken pot pie. It is almost like taking the filling from chicken pot pie and putting it over pasta…MMM!
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- High sided skillet with a lid. I used this Cuisinart one with 3.5 quart capacity.
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
One Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet Recipe
One Pot Chicken and Noodles
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 Pound boneless skinless chicken breast uncooked, diced*
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz egg noodles
- 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (carrots peas, corn)
- Optional: fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil (or butter).
- Add the chicken & onions, and add salt and pepper to the chicken.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Add broth, milk, garlic salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Add pasta, wait for reboil; reduce heat to low.
- Stir and cover, cook for 4 minutes on low.
- Stir, recover, cook another 3 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetable right on top (do not mix in), recover, and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, or until veggies are cooked through.
- Stir, and serve immediately.
* You can modify this recipe to use pre cooked or rotisserie chicken. Just add the cooked, diced chicken when you add the liquids.
Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.