This pesto caprese grilled cheese is an Italian twist on the traditional grilled cheese sandwich.
Did you know that April is national grilled cheese month? As a food blogger, I’ve got to get better at keeping up with obscure food holidays. 🙂 They give me an excuse to make yummy food! So I am squeaking in the tail end of April with this: pesto caprese grilled cheese!
I love traditional grilled cheese. Not a thing wrong with it! But I love coming up with new twists on traditional recipes.
In place of American cheese I use some sliced mozzarella for this sandwich. Instead of butter on the outside of the bread, I brushed on a little olive oil to help toast up the bread.
Oh and pesto! How I love pesto sauce! You can use store bought it you want to, but might I recommend my lightened up pesto recipe. It is perfection on this sandwich!
It’s no secret that I love tomatoes and basil together. Ahem…two recipes in a row! (<- Caprese orzo salad) Eeeek! I can’t help myself. It’s just too good.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are affiliate links.
- I used a grill pan, which gives the pretty lines. You could also use a non stick skillet.
- Pancake turner/ flipper
- Pastry brush to brush the olive oil on the bread
Pesto Caprese Grilled Cheese Recipe
Pesto Caprese Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices whole grain bread of your choice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons basil pesto sauce (enough to coat one slice of the bread. I am using my own lightened up pesto sauce)
- 2 to 3 slices thin tomato
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese deli style
- 1 teaspoons to 2 olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the grill pan on the stovetop, and preheat over medium heat.
- Spread pesto sauce on one slice of the bread.
- Add tomato slice next. I like to salt and pepper my tomatoes.
- Add a slice of deli style mozzarella cheese, and top with the second piece of bread.
- Brush on some olive oil on the top piece of bread, and place it (olive oil side down) on the preheated grill pan.
- Brush olive oil on the other side (that is now facing up).
- Cook the first side until toasty, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich over carefully, using the pancake flipper, and cook the other side. (Note: the 2nd side will cook much quicker! Careful not to burn it.)
- Serve immediately
Nutrition will vary based on what type of bread, cheese and pesto sauce is used.
Tip: You can lighten it up by using part skim mozzarella, light whole grain bread and my lightened up pesto sauce.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It is SO good, even if I do say so myself. Pin and share!