Mexican chicken spaghetti is a delicious and festive dinner that your whole family will love.
My mom made a version of this when I was growing up, so it really reminds me of the good old days! 💖🤗
In my usual style, I updated things a little. 😉 Mainly, I replaced the canned condensed cream soup in my mom’s version for a homemade (but EASY, pinky promise!) version. I incorporated it right in to the recipe, but if you want a separate version of just the condensed cream soup substitute to use in any other recipe, you can find that here: homemade condensed cream soup.
But back to the Mexican chicken spaghetti! It is so creamy, dreamy and delicious.😋
I use onions, peppers and canned Ro’tele tomatoes with green chilis. That veggie mix is combined with the homemade sauce, pasta and chicken. And the whole thing is topped with a four cheese mexican blend, and baked until it reaches it’s melty, ooey, gooey perfection. 😍👌🏻
It’s good, y’all. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
Tools Used to Make Mexican Chicken Spaghetti
These links are Amazon affiliate links. Shopping through these links supports this site at NO extra cost to you.
- Casserole dish – I am using this basic Corningware one
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- Knife and cutting board
Mexican Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
If this recipe looks good to you, please pin it and share it.
Mexican Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 ounces dry spaghetti pasta, cooked to package instructions and drained (half a 1 pound package)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color - I used green)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup milk, any type (I used 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (you can sub 1/4 teaspoon garlic + 1/4 teaspoon salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can Ro-tele tomatoes with green chiles (mild, 10 ounce can)
- 1 pound chicken thighs or breasts, cooked and shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces (I used my Instant pot shredded chicken. I have also used store-bought rotisserie chicken.)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican four cheese blend (I have used Kraft, Publix and Trader Joe's brands - all good!)
- cooking spray
Add some cooking spray to a large non-stick pan or dutch oven, and preheat over medium-low heat.
Add onions and bell peppers to the pan, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the butter to the pan (leave the peppers and onions in there), and let it melt.
Sprinkle the flour, and stir to incorporate. After about a minute or two, add the chicken stock, milk garlic salt and pepper, and stir to incorporate. Stir often (almost continuously) to avoid scorching. The sauce will thicken pretty quickly, after a minute or 2.
Turn off the stove, remove from heat, and add the undrained ro-tele tomatoes with green chilis, stirring to combine.
Toss the sauce and veggies with the cooked shredded chicken and cooked/ drained spaghetti pasta.
Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Sprinkle cheese on top, and bake at 375 until cheese is melted, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from oven, and let sit 5 minutes or so. Serve and enjoy!