Vegetable beef soup is one of my family’s favorites! And I make my vegetable beef soup out of leftover pot roast.
It is no secret that I love fall! And one of my favorite things about fall is all the warm and cozy comfort food. This vegetable beef soup is Just. SO. Good. It is perfect on a chilly night with a pan of skillet corn bread.
I modified Better Homes and Garden’s version to use up some leftover pot roast. And it was so good that I added it to our normal rotation.
Now I make this vegetable beef soup almost every time we have pot roast. It makes such an easy dinner, and it is a great way to make over your leftovers.
Also, this recipe is very forgiving. If you have a little more, or a little less, of any of the meat or veggies…it is still good! I have thrown in extra veggies as well…some lima beans, black-eyed peas, etc. Whatever I need to use up!
If you don’t have any leftover pot roast, you can pick up some beef stew meat or boneless roast and cut it into cubes. Season it up with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder, and brown it in some olive oil until cooked through. Remove it from the pan, and follow the rest of the recipe as written.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- Knife and cutting board
- I am using an enameled cast iron dutch oven. I have also used this pot to make it.
- Ladle for serving
Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
Pin this recipe if it looks good to you.
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups beef broth or stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (14.5 ounces)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup diced red potatoes
- 1 cup frozen geen beans
- 1 pound of leftover pot roast*** diced into bite-sized chunks
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the pot for about a minute.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, bay leaf, oregano and marjoram to the pot, and toss in the oil; cook until the veggies start to get tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the veggies and stir.
- Add the beef stock, tomatoes, corn, potatoes and green beans to the pot; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 18 minutes.
- Add the cooked pot roast, and cook until heated through, about 4 minutes.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.
***If you don’t have any leftover pot roast, you can pick up some beef stew meat or boneless roast and cut it into cubes. Season it up with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder, and brown it in some olive oil until cooked through. Remove it from the pan, and follow the rest of the recipe as written.
I hope that you enjoy this vegetable beef soup recipe!