I love enjoying a slice of this pumpkin spice bread with a hot cup of coffee in the mornings. Sometimes I will have it as a snack with a cup of tea in the afternoons. It is so yummy and moist, and you would never, EVER guess that there is a healthy twist to this recipe.
Fall is my favorite season. And now that the mornings are turning cooler, cue pumpkin-flavored-everything!
This pumpkin spice bread cuts (but does not eliminate) the sugar and oil by using a mashed banana for natural sweetness and some greek yogurt for texture.
I also use half whole wheat flour and half white flour. The wheat gives is a tad more fiber and nutrition, while the white gives it a lovely texture and rise.
I have served this pumpkin spice bread to out-of-town company and to my Sunday School class with nothing but rave reviews. My toddler and husband give their stamp of approval too. So it officially passes ALL the taste tests. Because what good is making something a little healthier if you have to sacrifice the taste?
My Pumpkin Spice Bread Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Bread
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 can of 100% pureed pumpkin (7.5 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 tablespoon old fashion oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl add the sugar, mashed banana, canola oil, Greek yogurt, pumpkin, egg and vanilla.
- Mix on low for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients until well-combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture into the pan, using a spatula to even out the batter.
- Top with the oats.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
One slice is 4 PointsPlus on Weight Watchers. This recipe used the recipe builder to calculate Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
Did you try this recipe? I would love to hear what you think!
If you really like this recipe, please pin and share it!
Update: I have also used this recipe to make mini-muffins! I used the same ingredients listed above, and I baked in a mini muffin tin for 15 minutes.