This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is such a delicious meal that you can throw together in a snap. It is perfect for weeknights…or lazy Saturdays!
I just LOVE the recipes where you can dump a few things in the slow cooker/ crock pot in the morning and poof! Dinner is served without much fuss that night.
This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup definitely fits that bill!
We love eating this all year round: on college football Saturdays, cool nights, Cinco de Mayo and basically anytime we need a low key, yet delicious, dinner. Picky kid approved too, which is super valuable to us.
This ingredients for this recipe are simple and basic. As always, get the best quality ingredients you can find.
How to make slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
Basically, you are just dumping most of ingredients into the slow cooker and letting them do their thing until dinner time. Gotta love that! 😎👌🏻 This mixture will cook for about 7 hours.
About an hour before you are ready to eat, remove the chicken, and shred with two forks.
Return that shredded chicken to the pot, and add the beans and corn, and give everything a good stir. Let that hang out for about another hour, or until the beans and corn are heated.
Just prior to serving, add cilantro and lime. Note: We have made this without both of those, and it is still super good!
The soup is hearty enough to stand alone. But! Topping make it next level. If you are new here, you may not know my level of toppings-enthusiasm. 😉 Let me just share that toppings can make slow cooker chicken tortilla soup next level.
Feel free go crazy on the toppings if you want to. A few suggestions for toppings:
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- diced avocado
- sour cream
- sliced olives
The possibilities are endless!
I kept it pretty simple with some diced avocado, cilantro and tortilla chips on the side. I like an extra little squeeze of lime in mine too.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker Recipe
Did you try this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe? Give it a star rating. Pin it and share it if it looks good to you. And be sure and stay connected on social media!
Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker
This chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker is such a delicious meal that you can throw together in a snap. It is perfect for weeknights…or lazy Saturdays!
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 oz can diced tomatoes undrained, 14.5
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts frozen
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed, 14.5 ounce
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices and chicken to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 7 hours. (You may not need as much time if you start with thawed chicken)
- Remove the chicken, and shred with two forks; return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the beans and corn, and cook for another hour on low.
- Add lime juice and cilantro, and serve.
- Optional: add desired toppings. Suggestions: avocado, cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, chives, jalapeños
Nutrition information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator. Each serving is approximately 1 & 2/3 cups.
To add even more heartiness, or if you like more bulk in your soup, you can add a can of drained/ rinsed pinto beans.
This recipe originally appeared on A Pinch of Healthy September 21, 2015. It has been updated with new photos. This is what it used to look like.