Chicken tetrazzini is a classic, warm and comforting casserole that is perfect for a dinner party or a family meal.
My version is made from scratch and off-the-charts delicious!😋 🙌🏻 It has chicken and linguini, tossed together with mushrooms and garlic in a creamy white wine sauce and topped with parmesan cheese.
Every time I have chicken tetrazzini, I can’t help but remember one of my favorite (now closed) restaurants in Auburn, Alabama where I attended college – Behind the Glass.
I think that place is actually a clothing store now by the same name. 🤔 Or at least it was last time I checked.
Back in the late 1990s they used to make a killer chicken tetrazzini. If you are any of my college friends reading this, I am sure you remember that place.
Anyway, even though my chicken tetrazzini is made from scratch, don’t be afraid to use a short cut if you need it! One that comes to mind – use a precooked store-bought rotisserie chicken for this casserole. I used my Instant Pot shredded chicken, FYI.
This makes a great dish from entertaining, since you can make the casserole and then bake it right as the guests are set to arrive, just in time for dinner.
Or, if you are one who takes meals to sick friends and new moms (heeey there all my southern church ladies!🙋🏼♀️), you could prepare it ahead. Then just have the recipient bake it right in time to eat. Easy peasy!
I hope y’all enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you try it.💖
Tools Used to Make Chicken Tetrazzini
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links. Shopping through these links supports A Pinch of Healthy at no extra cost to you.
- Casserole dish – I am using this basic Corningware one
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- Knife and cutting board
- Large skillet or Dutch oven for making the sauce
- Large pot or Dutch oven for boiling the pasta (Tip: You can use the same Dutch oven to cook the pasta, leave cooked pasta in the strainer and make the sauce in the same pot.)
- Strainer to drain pasta
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
If this recipe looks good to you, please pin it and share it!
Chicken tetrazzini is a classic, warm and comforting casserole that is perfect for a dinner party or a family meal - Italian casserole with chicken, mushrooms, creamy white wine sauce and parmesan cheese.
- 8 ounces dry linguine pasta cooked to package instructions and drained (half a 1 pound package)
- 1 eight ounce pack sliced crimini (baby portabella) mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup milk any type (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (may vary, based on saltiness of your butter, broth, parmesan)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese divided
- 1 pound chicken thighs or breasts cooked and shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces (I used my Instant pot shredded chicken. I have also used store-bought rotisserie chicken.)
- cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Add some cooking spray to a large non-stick pan or dutch oven, and preheat over medium heat.
Add onions and sliced mushrooms to the pan, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the garlic, and cook another minute.
Add the butter to the pan (leave the mushrooms, garlic and onions in there), and let it melt.
Sprinkle the flour, and stir to incorporate (about 30 seconds).
Add the wine, and deglaze the pan using a wooden spoon to scrape up brown bits and mix in flour.
Add chicken stock, milk salt and pepper, and stir to incorporate.
- Bring to a simmer and stir often (almost continuously) to avoid scorching. The sauce will thicken pretty quickly, after a minute or 2.
Turn off the stove, remove from heat, and add the cup of parmesan cheese, stirring to incorporate.
Toss the sauce with the cooked shredded chicken and cooked/ drained linguini pasta.
Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Sprinkle extra 1/2 cup parmesan cheese on top, and bake at 375 until cheese is melted, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let sit 5 minutes or so. Serve and enjoy!