This chicken enchilada skillet is a one pot meal that your whole family will love. It is perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any day!
I am updating this older post for Cinco de Mayo! It is simple to make too. I added a quick little video tutorial for y’all here. 👇🏻
If it looks good to you, share this video on Facebook here.
These one pot meals are kind of fascinating me right now. I need more of these in my life! Anything that only dirties up one pot when I am cooking is fine by me! Fewer dishes to wash is a WIN in my book. Can I get an amen?! 🙂
Plus, there is just something really simple about a full dinner that can be made in one pot.
Just look at that ooey, gooey, cheesy goodness!
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- I used a 5.5 quart skillet to make this recipe. You could also use a Dutch oven (👈🏻similar to the one in the video) or larger pot like this one.
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- Knife and cutting board
- Strainer to rinse the rice and to drain and rinse the beans
- Dutch oven
Chicken Enchilada Skillet One Pot Recipe
Chicken Enchilada Skillet (One Pot Meal)
This chicken enchilada skillet is a delicious one pot meal that the whole family will love. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any day!
- 2 Tablespoons oil (olive or avocado are what I normally use)
- 1 small yellow onion (or 1/2 large) diced
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup white rice uncooked (I used Jasmine)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can Old El Paso green chiles undrained (4 ounces)
- 1 can mild Old El Paso enchilada sauce (10 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed (15 ounce)
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese shredded (or more, to taste)
- Optional toppings: green onions cilantro or diced avocado
- Add the oil to a large 5 quart skillet or pot and preheat over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion softens and chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
Add the rice to the pot and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes to toast the rice, stirring occasionally. Some of the chicken and rice should be golden brown.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, green chilis, enchilada sauce, frozen corn, chili powder, and cumin. Stir, and bring the liquid to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cover the skillet/pot. Cook covered, stirring occasionally. Let it cook until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid (about 20 minutes for white rice, brown rice will take longer).
- Remove from the heat. Add the black beans and stir to combine. Top with cheese. Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Optional: Garnish with cilantro, green onions and avocado
Adapted from The Wholesome Dish.
Nutrition information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.
Note: This post was originally published on April 28, 2015.