When I show you how I make “baked” sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, you may never make them any other way again. They are so easy and delicious and ready in less than thirty minutes!
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which add no extra cost to you if you purchase through them.
So this is my very first Instant Pot recipe. So many of you have send me messages and comments, asking how I am liking the Instant Pot. In short, I LOVE it. It is super convenient, and it is great for making fresh, wholesome food in a snap.
Plus, it is SO versatile since you can use it in several different modes, including pressure cooking, slow cooking and sautéing. This is something I really considered before buying yet another kitchen appliance. I am really making an earnest effort to be a little bit more minimalist these days!
One of the most frequent uses for my Instant Pot these days is to make these “baked” sweet potatoes. I do them in batches, so I always have some on hand and ready to re-heat. The texture comes out perfect.
Sweet potatoes are pretty much my favorite vegetable ever. And if you follow my Instagram stories, you know that they are Mallory’s favorite too. 🙂 She is currently spitting out any baby food that is not a sweet potato.
So I have used this method to make baby food purees, and it would be perfect for making sweet potato casserole in a few months for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Or you can just serve them with a little butter, plus some cinnamon sugar. YUM!
Basically, I just scrub the sweet potatoes clean, and I put them in the Instant Pot with some water. I use the trivet that came with my Instant Pot to keep the sweet potatoes out of the water. They basically steam cook.
Probably the biggest benefit of making sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot is speed. It takes about 25 minutes, give or take, to do what normally takes over an hour to do in the oven.
Plus, my kitchen stays much cooler, and the device uses less electricity than my oven. That is no small thing since it is still almost ninety degrees here in Alabama.
And cleanup is a snap, since barely any mess is made. Win!
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- Instant Pot – I have the 6 quart one. Note: different sized ones may need you to adjust the water in this recipe.
- Steamer trivet that comes with the Instant Pot
- Tongs or oven mitts for removing the cooked potatoes
How to Make Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- 4 sweet potatoes, raw
- 1.5 cup water
- Rinse and scrub the sweet potatoes.
- Add the water to the Instant Pot.
- Place the steaming trivet inside, and lay the potatoes on top.
- Place the lid on, and seal the pot.
- Use manual mode to set on pressure cook for 18 minutes.
- Allow the device to depressurize "naturally." This takes about 15 minutes. (Pressure valve will lower)
- Carefully remove the lid, and serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for about a week.