This ranch dressing from scratch is so good that you will want to put it on everything!
I have been a HUGE ranch dressing fan pretty much my whole life. I LOVE the stuff. One of my favorite things to order in a restaurant has always been a salad, which is really just a vehicle for ALL the made-from-scratch ranch dressing.
Whenever I would try to make salad at home, I would pour on the store-bought stuff, and it just wasn’t very good. Boo! And the reduced fat and fat free versions…don’t even get me started! They were straight up GROSS, in my opinion. I’d rather eat dry lettuce with no dressing than some of that stuff. Bleh!
Then I went through a phase where I would use those store-bought ranch dressing packets, and mix up my own. It tasted okay, but it still was not as good as the ranch I would eat in restaurants. I wasn’t wild about all the sketchy mystery ingredients either.
Since I started making more of my food from scratch, I made it my mission to create my perfect ranch dressing from scratch.
I made sooooo many versions over the years, and I have tweaked here and there. For my own personal tastes, I do not like it if I try to reduce the fat too much. The most I can do is use some light (not fat free) sour cream. But it turns out that plain buttermilk is not that bad. And the mayo I use is not too bad either. So this! This is my most favorite yummy, get-in-my-belly ranch dressing.
It is great on salads, and I love it as a veggie dip too. YUM! And it has no MSG, or any other mystery ingredients that I cannot pronounce.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- You could use a whisk, but I prefer using my stick blender since it makes a smoother texture (no lumps!). You could also use a regular blender.
- Storage container – I used a half pint jelly jar. If you make a double batch, use a pint jar instead.
- Knife and cutting board to mince the garlic. Mincing the garlic helps you to avoid any large chunks of garlic in the dressing.
Ranch Dressing From Scratch Recipe
Ranch Dressing from Scratch
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 cloves small garlic finely minced (or 1 large)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon chives
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix well. I used my stick blender to give a smoother consistency, but you could use a whisk if you don't have one.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition information is approximate and was calculated using a nutrition label generator. Each serving is approximately 3 Tablespoons.
I hope you enjoy this ranch dressing from scratch! Pin it if it sounds good to you.