This one pot chicken and rice is a delicious and simple supper that you can make all in one pot.
I just adore these one pot meals! More simplicity and less dishes to wash is my kind of dinner.
I wanted a traditional chicken and rice recipe that I could work with. I stumbled upon this recipe from Marna on Pinterest. I stuck pretty close to her recipe for my own one pot chicken and rice. But you know me! I had to make a few tweaks to suit my own tastes.
Okay, maybe there were more than just a few tweaks. I reduced the oil, used shallots in place of regular onions, chicken stock instead of water, and I added some mushrooms and thyme. That flavor combination was on point! Even if I do say so myself.
My husband and son both gobbled this up! And it was really great leftover too. It almost got even better over the next couple of days.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
- Dutch oven pot – Even though I am dying to get a fancy-pants Le Crueset, I used one more comparable to this one. And it worked out great.
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Wooden spatula and/or wooden spoon
One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
One Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small shallots diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves medium fresh garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white jasmine rice rinsed and drained
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves chopped and divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in the dutch oven over medium heat for about a minute.
- Add the chunks of chicken, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add the shallot, mushrooms and carrots, and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, 1 Tablespoon of the fresh thyme, and another pinch of salt and pepper; cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock (or broth), and taste to see if the salt and pepper tastes good to you.
- Add the rice, and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat, stir, cover and cook for about 20 minutes on low.
- Stir, recover, remove from heat, and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork, garnish with the remaining fresh thyme and serve immediately.
This recipe was adapted from Image Cooking Chicken with Rice.
Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator. Each serving is approximately 9 PointsPlus on Weight Watchers.
I hope you enjoy this one pot chicken and rice! Pin and share it if it looks good to you. And let me know if you try it.