This Italian pasta salad is SO delicious and absolutely perfect to bring to a picnic or barbecue.
Y’all! It is a real crowd-pleaser. Literally everyone loves it!
Although you can make it any time of year, it screams summer to me. It just makes me think of pool parties, barbecues and picnics.
This recipe also happens to be a vegan recipe. Even though I am not a vegan or vegetarian myself, I can appreciate a plant-based diet. This Italian pasta salad will make BOTH your herbivore and omnivore friends very, very happy!
It is chocked full of fresh veggies. Just look at this beautiful variety of colorful vegetables…YUM.
I season all the veggies – except for the tomatoes, which I like raw – with just salt, pepper and olive oil. (<- They will get most of their flavor from the dressing.) And I roast them up in the oven for about twenty minutes. This makes them soft and tender.
This recipe also used my homemade Italian dressing from scratch. You could substitute ready-made dressing to take a short-cut. But! It does make a difference in flavor to make the dressing, and I highly recommend using my recipe.
One batch of the dressing was just enough to coat the salad, but feel free to double the dressing recipe in case you want to have a little extra on-hand. I like to always have extra dressing on hand with pasta salad, just in case it looks a little dry to me when it is time to serve it.
I wrote the recipe with entertaining in mind, so it really makes a heaping bowl with a lot of servings. You can always half the recipe if you want to. For example, sometimes I will roast up the veggies and use half of them (just the veggies) as a side dish to one of our regular dinners. Then I will use the other half of the leftover veggies to make a smaller batch of this Italian pasta salad the next day.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- Cutting board
- Baking sheet
- Tongs to toss everything together
- Strainer to drain the pasta
- Large pot to boil the pasta
Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 summer squash
- 1 zucchini
- ½ red onion
- 1 small broccoli crown
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (for roasting the veggies)
- salt and pepper, to taste (for the veggies)
- One 12 ounce box of farfalle pasta
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, rinsed
- ½ cup Italian dressing (or more to taste). I used my Italian dressing from scratch (recipe makes about ½ cup)
- chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the veggies (except tomatoes) into bite-sized chunks.
- Place them on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the chopped veggies with the olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly.
- Roast the veggies (except for the tomatoes) for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta according to package instructions (salt the water), drain and set aside.
- Make the dressing according to my recipe.
- Combine the pasta, tomatoes and cooked vegetables, pour on the dressing and toss to coat evenly.
- Garnish with parsley if desired.
- Serve at room temperature, and refrigerate leftovers for up to a week.