Today I will show you how to make cold brew coffee in a French press. It tastes just like that yummy iced coffee that you get in a coffee shop!
Now, a while back I posted my super simple iced coffee, which is basically my ultimate lazy girl method.
But this method makes the true cold brew. Cold brew is slow brewed over time, and it tastes smoother and lot less bitter than coffee that is quickly brewed with heat.
The main things that you need to make cold brew coffee are (1) time and (2) something to strain the coffee beans from the liquid. I am using this four cup (32 ounce) French press (Amazon affiliate).
There are lots of tutorials on the internet for making cold brew coffee. I developed mine by making it lots of times and tweaking the ratio until I got it exactly to my liking. Try my version, but feel free to play with the ratios to make it your own.
This recipe is really more about the method than the measurements. And to be honest, when I began making this myself I only measured out the beans, and then I just filled the water to the top. I had to measure how much for y’all so that I could write a clear recipe.
My YouTube subscribers were actually the ones who kept asking me for this recipe. Here is the video I made:
I like my cold brew iced coffee unsweet with lots of ice and milk. Sugar granules are not going to dissolve easily in this like they do in hot coffee. So if you have a sweet tooth, you can use some of the coffee syrups, or you can make your own simple syrup.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- 4 cup (32 ounce) French press
- I used a digital food scale to measure my coffee beans. No worries if you don’t have one, though. You can use measuring cups and spoons.
- I use my own coffee grinder to make medium coarse grounds. Or you can grind yours at the store. Just use one of the coarser settings.
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee in a French Press – The Recipe
- 1.75 ounces measured on food scale (or ½ cup, plus 1 Tablespoon medium coarse ground coffee grounds)
- 30 ounces filtered tap water (3 and ¾ cups)
- Measure out the coffee grounds, and add them to the French press.
- Add the water.
- Stir the mixture together.
- Place the lid on, plunger up.
- Brew in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator, gently lower the plunger.
- Pour over ice and serve immediately.
- Optional: add milk, half and half or flavored syrup.