Today I am sharing my healthy lasagna soup recipe. It is a delicious and comforting bowl of cheesy, gooey lasagna heaven.
There are many versions of lasagna soup floating around out there. I took a few of approaches to make mine slightly lighter and healthier.
1. I used Italian turkey sausage. Jennie O makes some, and our Publix (local grocery store) has their own store brand, which is what I used for this particular recipe. It has fantastic flavor and slightly less fat.
2. I amped up the veggie content. This soup has carrots, onions garlic and spinach.
3. I used whole grain pasta. Whole grain pasta is one of my favorite swaps. It is virtually unnoticeable. If anything, whole grain pasta may even taste slightly better than regular white pasta. Plus the extra protein and fiber is more filling.
One of my philosophies about food is that it always has to taste good. What good is making something healthy if nobody wants to eat it?!
The part that makes this soup special is the three cheese topping. I make a mixture of ricotta and parmesan (with a little salt and pepper too), and I spoon a little of that on the top. Then I sprinkle with some shredded mozzarella. It doesn’t take a ton of cheese to get that really great flavor.
Just look at that cheesy, ooey gooey bite of yumminess!
Tools Used for This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
You are going to want a good soup pot. I used this 5½ quart multipurpose one.
Healthy Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 ½ ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounce)
- 2 leaves bay
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup multigrain farfalle pasta
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 6 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh basil optional
Spray a large pot. I used this 5½ quart multipurpose one.
Brown sausage in large pan over medium-high heat, about 6 minutes.
Add onions, carrots, garlic and bay leaves and continue cooking until veggies are soft, about another 6-7 minutes.
Add chicken stock, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil and oregano, and bring to a boil.
Carefully remove bay leaves.
Add pasta and simmer until cooked, about 8 minutes.
Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Top each serving with a spoonful of the ricotta parmesan mixture, and sprkinle with shredded mozzarella.
Garnish with fresh basil (optional).
Each serving is approximately 8 PointsPlus on Weight Watchers. Nutritional information was calculated using a nutrition label generator.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! We sure did. Pin it if it looks good to you!