Creamy garlic parmesan pasta is a delicious meal that the whole family will love.
We absolutely LOVE pasta in my house, and I am always looking for different ways to serve it. This creamy garlic parmesan pasta was a hit with both my husband and two-year-old son!
The sun-dried tomatoes were an afterthought. I had some in the pantry, and it reminded me of a dish that I always used to order years ago at Macaroni Grill. So I threw some in at the end, and it tasted good! Don’t you just love happy accidents in the kitchen?! 🙂
There is no heavy cream in this sauce. I used a simple roux of olive oil and flour, plus some milk to thicken it up. I used 1% milk, but any milk will work.
Also, feel free to substitute the throw-ins. I used asparagus here, but I have also used broccoli. Or if you don’t care for sun-dried tomatoes, just leave them out.
Tools Used to Make this Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
- I used a 3.5 Quart Saute Pan
- Chef’s Knife and Cutting Board
- Glass bowl (for ice bath)
- Whisk and Spoon
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta Recipe
- ¼ pound asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (I used 1%, but any milk will work)
- ½ cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste ( about ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper)
- 12 ounce box of whole grain farfalle pasta (or any shape pasta you prefer)
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 1.5 ounces Julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes (half of a 3 ounce bag - I used California Sun Dry brand, FYI)
- Fill the saute pan about an inch deep with tap water, and bring to a boil.
- Add asparagus to the pot and boil for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the asparagus (tongs may be helpful), and put it in the ice bath to stop the cooking; set aside.
- Start a separate pot of water to boil to cook your pasta per package instructions.
- Wipe dry the pan you just cooked the asparagus in, return to stovetop and put the olive oil in it.
- Turn the heat to low to preheat the pan for about 1-2 minutes, then add the minced garlic.
- Cooks the garlic (should hear a light sizzle) on low for about 1.5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, and stir to combine for about a minute.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking to break up any lumps.
- Add the salt and pepper, and increase the heat a little to medium, continuing to whisk until the milk starts boiling.
- Reduce heat back down to low (maintain a light boil/ simmer), and whisk often for about 5 minutes, until thick.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, and remove from heat.
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions, and reserve at least ½ cup of starchy pasta water prior to draining your finished pasta.
- Remove the asparagus from the ice water, and chop into bite size chunks.
- Toss the drained pasta, chicken, asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes with the sauce in the pan you cooked the sauce in.
- If you need to loosen up the sauce a little bit, add some of the reserved pasta water, a couple tablespoons at a time until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Optional: garnish with fresh basil.
I hope you enjoy this creamy garlic parmesan pasta as much as my family has! Pin it if it looks good to ya.