This chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker is such a delicious meal that you can throw together in a snap. It is perfect for weeknights…or lazy Saturdays!
We have had the first little hint of fall here in Alabama. Translation: temperature highs not above the low eighties and low humidity. I realize not many people would consider this True Fall Weather, but after a summer of high nineties and suffocating humidity…I’ll take it! I know the chillier weather is just around the corner.
And those crisp days call for soup! Lots of soup. Bonus points when I can make it in the slow cooker.
I just LOVE the recipes where you can dump a few things in the crock pot in the morning and poof! Dinner is served without much fuss that night.
This chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker fits the bill! I wait and add a few last minute ingredients at the end (beans and corn), but the bulk of the prep work is done the morning of.
This is perfect for football food too. We ate it this past weekend while watching college football. My three year old and my husband both asked for seconds.
And you can go crazy on the toppings if you want to. Because overall this soup is pretty light and healthy. A few suggestions for toppings: tortilla strips, cheese, avocado, sour cream, chives…the possibilities are endless!
I kept it pretty simple with some diced avocado, cilantro and tortilla chips on the side. I like an extra little squeeze of lime in mine too.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are Amazon affiliate links.
Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker Recipe
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices and chicken to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 7 hours. (You may not need as much time if you start with thawed chicken)
- Remove the chicken, and shred with two forks; return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the beans and corn, and cook for another hour on low.
- Add lime juice and cilantro, and serve.
- Optional: add desired toppings. Suggestions: avocado, cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, chives, jalapeños
Adapted from Cooking Classy.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have! Pin it and share if it sounds good to you.