You may never buy the canned stuff again after I show you how to make chicken noodle soup from scratch. So easy and delicious!
Oh, cold and flu season…you are already upon us. My family has already caught our first cold virus of the season. It seems like as soon as the kids start back to school, ALL the germs start popping back up.
So during cold season I make chicken noodle soup. Like, a lot.
Because nothing hits the spot when you are sick quite like some chicken noodle soup from scratch.
You can use your own homemade chicken stock to make this (see my bone broth recipe here), which is what I used for this recipe…or you can use the boxed stuff from the store. I have personally used both, and it turns out great either way.
But you are not going to believe how simple it is to make this! The most work you will exert will be a little chopping. I made a little video to show how easy it is.
Side note: I used to remove celery leaves from things. I don’t do that any more. I find that the celery leaves add more flavor.
You can also use any cut of pasta. I prefer egg noodles for chicken noodle soup, but I have also made this with spaghetti, linguine, etc.
This recipe is great for using up an open box of pasta. It may not be enough to make a pasta dinner for the family. But just the perfect amount for some soup!
Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch Recipe
If you like this recipe, please pin it and share it.
- ½ tablespoon of olive (or cooking spray)
- ½ cup diced onion (about half of a large onion)
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (you can substitute dried)
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodle pasta
- 6 ounces of cooked shredded chicken (I used leftover rotisserie chicken)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray a large pot (I used this 5½ quart multipurpose one)* with cooking spray (or drizzle with olive oil), and heat to medium.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, parsley and bay leaves to the pan.
- When they start to sizzle reduce heat to low, stir and cover.
- Cook covered for about 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times in between.
- Add the minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper; stir, recover and cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Uncover, and add the chicken stock to the pot, using a wooden spoon* to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom.
- Raise the heat back up to about medium high and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta, and cook according to package directions.
- Add the chicken when there is about 2 minutes left for the pasta to cook.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add parsley for garnish (optional).
- *These are Amazon affiliate links