This Caprese orzo salad is a delicious spring and summer side dish – perfect for a picnic or family barbecue.
Caprese salad is one of my most favorite things! I love the flavors of fresh mozzarella, basil and tomatoes. There are not many things better than that, in my opinion!
So those flavors were my inspiration for this dish. Adding some whole grain orzo bulks up the filling factor by giving you some protein and fiber. Plus, it is super tasty!
In the summer I grow my own tomatoes and basil. So I will have this recipe on eat and repeat! 🙂
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Note: These are affiliate links.
Large pot to boil the orzo
Strainer to strain the cooked orzo
Large mixing bowl to toss everything together
Caprese Orzo Salad Recipe
- 1 pound bag uncooked whole grain orzo
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Generous handful (about a cup) of fresh basil leaves, chopped or torn
- Pint of grape tomatoes
- ½ good quality balsamic vinaigrette (or more, to taste). I am using my own homemade balsamic vinaigrette.
- Cook the orzo according to the package instructions.
- Drain the orzo, and let it cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the dressing and the tomatoes, and toss with the orzo.
- Gently fold in the mozzarella and basil.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you try it.
Pin and share if it sounds good to you.